Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:24:27 +0100

>       > * Imenu could be extended into a file-structure browsing mechanism
>       > using code like that of customize-groups.
>
>     Doesn't `speedbar' already provide something very similar to (if
>     not exactly) that?
>
> I don't know.  I have never used speedbar.
> Perhaps it will do this job.
>
> In practice, the crucial question is whether it works smoothly.
> In Eclipse, these features are very visible and they "just work".
> It would be good if that were true in Emacs also.

The ECB (Emacs Code Browser) provides several gui features very similar
to what Eclipse provides(within the limitations of emacs).

The ECB is furthermore a client of Cedet (collection of Emacs
development tools), which makes it possible for ECB to provide windows
with code browsing facilities etc.

Theres lots of screenshots and explanations at
http://ecb.sourceforge.net/
and
http://cedet.sourceforge.net/

(Both tools have been discussed previously for inclusion in Emacs)

I know several readers of the Emacs list dislikes going to a web page
for information, but I know no better way at this time.

--
Joakim Verona