Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:09:48 -0400

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:

> I liked the philosophy behind the old way better: make the defaults
> simple and clean and leave it to the user to turn on all the bells,
> whistles and trautonii he likes.

Only within reason.  For example, we turn Font Lock mode on by
default.  Similarly, Transient Mark mode works very well (due to years
of Emacs hackers turning it on in their own init files), and provides
a real benefit to new users (direct visual feedback).  If there is any
subset of Transient Mark mode behavior that people feel is too
intrusive to be the default, such as commands activate the mark
unnecesarily, we can always tweak that.

Don't worry---we aren't gonna go down the path of XEmacs.