Re: gathering data on how people use Emacs

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: gathering data on how people use Emacs
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:46:44 -0700

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 02:17:19 +0100
Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd rather poll users with simple questions like:
>
> - Should `transient-mark-mode' be ON by default?
> - Should `show-paren-mode' be ON by default?
>
> Of course, `transient-mark-mode' might not sound familiar to newbies.
> Then we need to find a better way to describe what it actually does.
>
> FWIW we can re-use a simple safe form like this one:
>
>   http://www.legito.net/report_bug.php
>
> The output of this form is sent by email and the content of the email
> looks like:
>
> ,----
> | * [#A] Bug report :BUG:
> |   <2008-24-24 Mon 17:00>
> |   :PROPERTIES:
> |   :ID: fu3ouer3dt4igvt7fa2u4c6qv1
> |   :Package: org.el
> |   :Emacs: Emacs 22
> |   :END:
> `----
>
> So that you can easily gather the result of the poll in an Emacs
> org-mode file.

A poll is more of a political measure than a rational one IMHO. If the experts
in this
issue are still negotiating terminology and the consequences of design on code
and users
I don't see how a polling of people ignorant to the particulars will shed
useful light
on the subject.

That doesn't mean that I object to the idea, merely that the data should be
considered political
rather than rational. The same perspective discounts common sense as more
dangerous than useful.
I struggle to recall a single moment in human history when common sense of the
time had any
congruence to reality. In fact common sense is usually the cause of financial
boom/bust cycles and other
embarrassments of the species.

Again, a poll is at least method, so I will support such a thing as progress,
and vote if that
is to be the method for decision making.

I did, on my walk, strike upon an idea for facilitating the search for the
Right Thing. We are, as a group of
programmers trained in science and rational analysis. We should apply our
skills and tools effectively. I think
a good start would be leveraging the EmacsWiki.

There we could setup pages that define terms with acceptable precision, build
analysis, and pool knowledge
until our conclusions and the methods by which we reach them are the pride of
the community.

E-mail can be effective in debate but often knowledge is diffused throughout
the thread rather than concentrated
as a central document does.

WDOT ?

I am willing to put time into a constructive collaboration in pursuit of the
Right Thing, though my time is like
everyone else's limited. I will poke around on Apple's HIG research, see if I
can extract some definition of terms
and research in this area. I am not a Wiki guy, so I would expect a Wiki
enthusiast to flash some skill in getting
a initial structure set properly.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie