Re: Word search

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: Re: Word search
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:43:17 +0100

Sorry Drew,

There was a mistake in my mail, I did not mean "C-sC-w" but I meant
"C-sC-w". I tested it again and it does not work.

That you for the information on the incremental word search
("C-sM-eC-w"). I tested it on the same node, and whether I terminate by
"C-s" or by "" it fails in the same way. To tell you the truth, I
had not even tried that, as the plain non incremental one was not
working in the first place.

Regards,
Vincent.

Drew Adams a écrit :
> I fully agree with Juri's point that the current keys to enter word
> search is inconvenient, and I find the double meaning of C-w between
> usual editing and word search difficult (I would prefer to have a less
> easy to remember key to enter word search provided that that it does not
>
> overload the meaning of usual edition keys like C-w).
>
> C-s C-w is not word search in the sense that you write below. C-s C-w yanks
> characters or words into the search string, starting at the cursor position.
>
> FYI, unfortunately I was never able to have word search work properly.
> For instance, when I try word search in the *info* node "Word search"
> and I type "C-sC-w" then I type "the words" (all of these things
> without double quotes) and then I type "", I would expect to find
> the first occurrence at the end of first line of info node text which is
> :
>
> ---- excerpt from info node Word Search --------------
> Word search searches for a sequence of words without regard to how the
> words are separated. More precisely, you type a string of many words,
>
> I think what you want is incremental search for words. In vanilla Emacs you can
> get to it this way: `C-s M-e C-w' - this is mentioned in the Emacs manual node
> you cited, Word Search. Library isearch+.el binds the same thing to `C-s M-w',
> which is a bit easier to use.
>
> FYI, isearch+.el is here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/isearch%2b.el.
> It is described here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IsearchPlus.

Plus de 15 millions de français utilisent Windows Live Messenger ! Téléchargez Messenger, c'est gratuit !