Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:54:33 +0100

martin rudalics wrote:
 > "may remove" - are you suggesting this is not a bug?

The doc-string of `window-min-height' states

*Delete any window less than this tall (including its mode line).
The value is in line units.

Hence it's certainly not a bug.

I am not sure I agree. It does not say under what conditions it can delete that window.

I think the conditions should be specified in the doc string. And I do not think that the conditions should embrace the case with ediff. There is simply no need to delete that window during resizing.

 > Or are you just
 > saying you see that the code is written that way?

Not "or" but "and".  IIUC Jan tried to handle this in a way that small
windows are preserved.  Either he doesn't succeed always or the idea of
setting `window-min-height' to 1 gets in his way.

Thanks.

Your way of reproducing the problem was flawed.  It took me some time to
understand what you meant.

Sorry, I know.

I suggest you set `window-min-height'
buffer-locally to 2 in the ediff control panel and look what happens
when the frame gets resized.  If the window still goes away we have a
bug.

Thanks, that cures the problem.

Michael, could you please add that? (And please make the control panel window dedicated during ediff. It really is not useful for something else then ;-) )

One aspect that puzzles me is why, when `window-min-height' equals 1,
Emacs doesn't simply display the window's modeline.  This way we could
simply shrink a window to its modeline and expand it whenever we need it
again.

That would be much better than a disappearing mode line.

Another problem is that Emacs doesn't record window sizes accross
(de-)maximizations.  Hence in your ediff control panel example you'd
have to fix the window-height at 1 in order to handle re-maximization as
intended :-(

Another good point. I think this is really what users expect, at least I did.