Help with makefile command line

From: Balaji V. Iyer
Subject: Help with makefile command line
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:11:58 -0400

Hello Everyone,
    I use the compile option extenstively in emacs. When I type "M-x
compile" the default line is "make -k" Many times I do not have a make
file thus I would lke the default line to be

"gcc -ansi -O4 -Wall <c_source_file>"

How do I do this?

I tried the following command but it doesn't seem to work (If anyone
have a better idea please let me know).

(function
 (lambda ()
   (unless (or (file-exists-p "makefile")
               (file-exists-p "Makefile"))
     (setq compile-command
           (concat "gcc -Wall -O3 -o"
                   (file-name-sans-extension (file-name-nondirectory
buffer-file -name))
                   " "
                   (file-name-nondirectory buffer-file-name))))))

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh, one thing..I am using emacs 21.2.1 on cygwin

Thanks,

--

Balaji V. Iyer
PhD Student,