RE: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:01:27 -0700

> Enabling t-m-m by default is endorsing t-m-m as the best way
> of editing. Do we really think this is the best way to
> use emacs ? deserving of the core and privileged default
> status ? or is it a transition path at best ?

My own answer is yes (with non-nil mark-even-if-inactive), it is the best way to
use Emacs. No, it is not only a transition path at best.

Likewise for delete-selection mode (which uses t-m-m). I believe either is
better, for both newbies and experienced users, than no notion of active region
and no highlighting.

The same might be true for temporary t-m-m. IMO, any of these is the right thing
to teach and to learn, from the outset. I don't believe this is true for CUA
selection mode or PC selection mode.

Just one opinion.

[However, you've now moved the topic back into the thread "Transient Mark Mode
on by default". So I changed the Subject back to that.]