RE: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:01:55 -0700

> Actually, now that I take a closer look.  Why do we have both C-s/C-r
> and M-r/M-s?  They seem redundant.

They are not redundant now, and I hope we don't make them redundant or combine
them. C-s searches the text in the minibuffer. M-s searches the input history.
M-s is a regexp search; C-s is not (but C-M-s is).

I'm sure you know that, so I probably misunderstand your proposal.

> This is not good when the completion table is a function that takes
> a long time, because then you have to wait for the completion table to
> be built before you can get the actual real DEF.
>
> Better would be to call the function only after we consumed
> minibuffer-default. Or maybe only do it when the completion-table is
> not a function.

I really do not see any gain by confounding history-list search with
completion-table search (and now with minibuffer-text search also?). I think the
proposed amalgam is a mistake. What problem is it trying to solve?

[What is useful, however, is adding a key to _complete_ against the current
history - in all minibuffer maps. I suggested M-o for that.]