Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:48:02 +0100

> No, dedicated windows in frames that have other windows are too troublesome.
> They often surprise the user.

Yes, unfortunately.  IIRC Stefan once wanted to introduce various
degrees of dedicatedness ...

> That little ediff window does not need to be dedicated, since nothing else
> gets into it unless you try hard :-)
> And if this happens then it is easy to recover.
>

>>>Another problem is that Emacs doesn't record window sizes accross
>>>(de-)maximizations.  Hence in your ediff control panel example you'd
>>>have to fix the window-height at 1 in order to handle re-maximization as
>>>intended :-(
>
> But when you maximize then the little window does not get deleted - it just
> gets bigger. It is better to resize a window than to completely delete it.

The idea of my proposal was just to keep the height of the control panel
fixed during frame size changes.  Personally, I would prefer some soft
fixedness here which would prevent a window from getting implicitly
resized whenever the window layout changes.