Re: Emacs 22.2 released

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Emacs 22.2 released
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:41:03 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:02:56 -0400
>>
>> GNU Emacs 22.2 is now available at the ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.
>
> Ouch!  This is a very busy week for me, so I only now had time to
> install on the branch the change that fixes handling of foreign file
> names on MS-Windows.  Perhaps in the future it would be a good idea to
> send a warning on the mailing list 24 hours before the tarball is made
> (I know you announced the plan before, but that was several days ago
> and I simply forgot).

I did:

  To: address@hidden
  From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
  Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:26:09 -0400
  Subject: Re: Release schedule for 22.2

  Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

  > If nothing goes wrong, I plan to roll the 22.2 tarball next Wednesday,
  > the 26th of March.  If you have any fixes that you would like to add
  > to the branch, please inform emacs-devel ASAP.

  Heads up: I'll be rolling the tarball in about 24 hours.

Still, I had forgotten about the "Foreign file names on MS-Windows"
thread, and I didn't check if the final patch got checked in after the
discussion seemed to have concluded.  So sorry about that.

> I don't know if it's fair to ask that a new tarball be uploaded now.
> Failing that, I hope at least those who prepare binary distributions
> for Windows will use the version of w32.c that is now on the branch.

Since this bug is not a regression from 22.1, let's leave it for 22.3
(assuming we do a 22.3).

As for changing the Windows binary distribution, I don't have a strong
opinion either way.  Jason, if you are agreeable, please go ahead and
make a new binary incorporating this change.  No need to mark it as
22.3a or anything like that, IMO; just overwrite the existing file on
the ftp server.  Thanks.

>> The actual release announcement should be on info-gnu-emacs
>> shortly.  (BTW, Eli, what's the moderation/posting situation on
>> that list?).
>
> The situation is good, thank you ;-)
>
> Seriously, what exactly did you want to know?  I'm the moderator, if
> that's what you were asking (but you probably already know that, since
> mailman shows this fact).

I was just wondering if I would be able to post to the list.  But I
now see that the release announcement went through fine.  Thanks.