Re: Emacs 22.2 released

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs 22.2 released
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:52:10 +0000

Chong Yidong wrote:

As for changing the Windows binary distribution, I don't have a strong
opinion either way.  Jason, if you are agreeable, please go ahead and
make a new binary incorporating this change.  No need to mark it as
22.3a or anything like that, IMO; just overwrite the existing file on
the ftp server.  Thanks.

I disagree with not marking it if a new release is made. The source will be different, so it should have a different version number. This bug has been there forever, and noone complained until now. Users are not likely to use file names outside of their own locale, even though it is theoretically possible. Many tools have this same problem, especially command-line tools which tend to use the standard C library rather than the Windows APIs, let alone the Unicode version of the Windows APIs.

But anyway, someone else will have to make the release, as my graphics card died this morning, and I'm currently surviving with a very old machine that took over half an hour just to zip up the files (I didn't time the build).