Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:17:51 -0700

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:38:54 +0100
Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> wrote:

> The nice thing about it is, that it uses the native toolkit of the
> plattform compiled on. No more ifdefs or anything to compile with
> Gtk/MFC/MAC. On linux Gtk is the default. Even the event handling,
> threading and networking are unified. I used wxWidgets for some
> smaller projects and I think it is the best attempt of a
> multiplattform lib.
>
> Projects created with wxWidgets can be viewed on the projects
> website. Some use custom widgets (like audacity).

last time I coded for WxWidgets it used it's own string class, was pre-stl,
was bloated, and generally had accumulated functionality in thick layers.
Any design mistakes are at this point pretty much set in stone with the size
of the code-base.

Seeing this prime example IMHO, of why compat layers can't be clean used in
Emacs is not cool to me at least. At least on gentoo I can compile out the
joystick support.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie