Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git

From: Jonathan Lange
Subject: Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:32:09 +1100

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>      To the emacs maintainers and decision makers: What more information
>     is required to convince bzr is not the right tool at the present
>     moment?
>
>  This decision is not a decision for the present moment.  It is a long
>  term decision.
>
>  So it would be better to wait a few months while Bzr developers
>  improve it, than to make some other "temporary" decision that would
>  probably be hard to reverse.

I've tried to get a list of things that Bazaar needs to improve from
trawling through this list and bugs on the Bazaar tracker.

So far I have:
  * bzr log needs to be much faster for single files[1] and for
subsets of history.
  * bzr diff -r <something> needs to take at most a couple of seconds
  * bzr st <single file> needs to be instantaneous.
  * Must be able to get the diff between the current branch and its
parent very quickly.

These are all performance related. I can't recall coming across any
other blockers, but then I haven't been following every email on this
& related threads.

If I've missed anything, please let me know. If I've included anything
that's not really necessary, let me know. If you want, file bugs on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bugs and give them the tag 'emacs'.

jml

[1] Bazaar tends to assume you want to work with the whole tree for
every operation. I think this might be the root cause of a lot of the
disappointment in Bazaar's performance.