Re: Window configuration UI

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Window configuration UI
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:14:30 -0400

> It would be interesting to try replacing the current
> window-configuration code with winsav.el, to see if it is fast enough.
> It seems to me that `winsav-get-window-tree' could be made a lot
> faster, especially by writing it in C.  But I don't know if it needs
> to be any faster.

It doesn't seem to be noticeably slow.  But it does not provide a 100%
replacement for the window-configuration functions (mostly because of
the issue of preserving window-identity vs. creating new windows).
Not sure how important it is.  IIUC XEmacs has switched to such an
Elisp-only implementation of window-configurations so they probably know
more about the impact of this incompatibility.

> How does winsav deal with the tree structure of non-leaf windows?  I
> think that it does not know about non-leaf windows; is that correct?
> If so, it is something we need to fix, and that probably
> requires changes at the C level.

It uses `window-tree' so it does know about non-leaf windows.

        Stefan