Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:24:37 +0900

The bazaar people already know this, removing bazaar from the
addressees.

Jonathan Lange writes:

 > I've tried to get a list of things that Bazaar needs to improve from
 > trawling through this list and bugs on the Bazaar tracker.

Robert Collins posted an excellent summary of why the "pack" format
repo will make a foundation for rapid progress on performance, and
also summarized his view of what things need fixing.  (Sorry, I"m just
before getting on a plane, but it's in the "bazaar" thread on "more
plans, less excuses" or something like that.)

 > [1] Bazaar tends to assume you want to work with the whole tree for
 > every operation. I think this might be the root cause of a lot of the
 > disappointment in Bazaar's performance.

Do you mean whole tree, or whole history?  If it's "whole tree", then
git is the obvious counterexample, with most operations on whole trees
being O(1).  Even for "whole history", gitk is an order of magnitude
faster than bzr log.