Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:02:14 +0100

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>> I think that `interactive' codes are much better than symbol properties
>> for defining the meaning of a command.
>
> Yes, but the problem here is rather that you may need to redefine
> which commands should deactivate the mark. Doing that with a symbol
> property makes it much more flexible.

Read "flexible" as "conveniently hot-patchable around things not
designed for it".  We have a policy not to use advice (another hotpatch
facility) for components distributed as part of Emacs because we want
all information pertaining to a particular function accessible and
readable from a single location in a clear manner.

I don't see this any different.  If there is a need for a user to
hot-patch around functions not designed for it, advice is still
available.