Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:14:13 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
If CUA-mode chooses to provide an additional futzing interface for
meddling with external packages, this does not preclude us from using a
proper interface within Emacs itself.

David, thanks for the example you provided earlier of how to change the interactive form. However to me it looks like this can not be used directly. It is too complicated.

To handle this you would perhaps write simple functions or even a defcustom that modifies the interactive forms for those functions that you want.

Maybe a first step would be to agree on a set of functions to modify and read the "move" information? Whether this modifies the interactive form property or some separate property does not IMO make significant difference. The main thing is that it must be easy for the user to handle this.

BTW, I think you are mixing two subjects: how to store the "move" information and where to attach this information. I agree that it might sometimes be good to have properties attached to the variable and to the function instead of the symbol.