Re: 23.0.60; File corruption when Gnus reads .overview

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; File corruption when Gnus reads .overview
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:18:29 +0100

On Fri, Mar 28 2008, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Leo <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Leo,
>
>> On 2008-03-27 20:57 +0000, Reiner Steib wrote:
>>> It's the agent cache overview, right?  I don't use the agent, so I'm
>>> not familiar with it, but IIRC it's no problem to delete the corrupt
>>> overview file.  Does this help?
>>
>> How to set up Gnus not to use agent?

(Why) Is it difficult to find this in the manual?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Agent Variables") ]
`----

> Hit ^ in the *Group* buffed to get to the *Server* buffer.  Each
> agentized server has a (agent) indicator in its line.  You can
> enable/disable the agent for a server with `J a'/`J r'.

My setup disables the agent globally because I run a local NNTP server
(leafnode2) and don't use IMAP much, so I have no need for it.

> Not using the agent for non-local servers will probably slow down Gnus
> much more, because then it'll download an article from the server each
> time it's requested.  With the agent it's downloaded only once, and then
> it's cached.

Someday I should try how it affects IMAP performance for me.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)