how can frame-parameter proxy for make-variable-frame-local?

From: Scott Heftler
Subject: how can frame-parameter proxy for make-variable-frame-local?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:44:49 -0700 (PDT)

I've written an elisp program that depends on frame-local variables.
But now when I compile my module, I get ...

Warning: `make-variable-frame-local' is an obsolete
   function (as of Emacs 22.2); use a frame-parameter instead.

OK. So what's the most elegant way to do this?  Here's my dumb way:

(1) To init VAR to VAL and make it frame-local for the current frame,
     I do
         (modify-frame-parameters nil '(VAR . VAL))
     And then *every time* I want to reset its value, I have to do this
     again?

(2) And *every time* I want to simply access its value, I have to do
         (frame-parameter nil 'VAR)

Is this correct?  Can you think of a macro that will make this process
as neat as a simple `setq' (to set) and a simple token (to access)?
Or am I just fantasizing? :thinking: