Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:49:27 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

David Kastrup wrote:
If CUA-mode chooses to provide an additional futzing interface for
meddling with external packages, this does not preclude us from using a
proper interface within Emacs itself.
David, thanks for the example you provided earlier of how to change
the interactive form. However to me it looks like this can not be used
directly. It is too complicated.

What you are complaining about that there is no simple ad-hoc way to
patch up functions with _separated_ code when they are not actually
prepared to do the right thing.

Such ad-hoc patchery can be done in a manner of ways, starting with
advice over going through the interactive form.

I am sorry but it seems like you are misunderstanding the subject.

It is easy enough to write and put a _function_ in cua-mode.el, _iff_
such patchery is desired, to perform this patchery and adjust all the
documentation strings appropriately in that process.  Whether or not

The functionality is desired, but it should of course not go into cua-mode.el. It is important not to introduce unneeded complexity. This should be a common functionality, not something specific to cua-mode.