Re: nntp.el: netcat

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: nntp.el: netcat
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:55:38 -0400

> The function name `nntp-open-via-netcat' found in the doc string
> of `nntp-open-telnet-stream' is not proper for it.  Because the
> word `via' has been being used for the function names and the
> variable names that are used for the nntp connection established
> via the intemediate host.  Moreover, there is no function
> definition for it in nntp.el.  I'd suggest the function name
> `nntp-open-netcat-stream'.

I'll trust your judgment on that.  All I wanted to do was to make sure
we propose to use netcat before telnet since I've had several problems
with telnet.

> ,---- (info "(gnus)Example Methods") ----
> |    If you're behind a firewall, but have direct access to the outside
> | world through a wrapper command like "runsocks", you could open a
> | socksified netcat connection to the news server as follows:
> |
> |      (nntp "outside"
> |            (nntp-pre-command "runsocks")
> |            (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-via-netcat)
> |            (nntp-address "the.news.server"))
> `----

> Have you verified it?

No, indeed.

> In addition, the arguments ("-e" "none") passed to ssh seems to
> be necessary:

> ,---- SSH(1) ----
> | -e escape_char
> |         Sets the escape character for sessions with a pty (default: ‘~’).
> |         The escape character is only recognized at the beginning of a
> |         line.  The escape character followed by a dot (‘.’) closes the
> |         connection; followed by control-Z suspends the connection; and
> |         followed by itself sends the escape character once.  Setting the
> |         character to “none” disables any escapes and makes the session
> |         fully transparent.
> `----

No, because the ssh connection will not use a pty (that was necessary
(and problematic) for telnet, but luckily it's not needed for netcat).

        Stefan