Re: 23.0.60; Can't start emacs when filename contains national character

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Can't start emacs when filename contains national character
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:23:04 +0300

> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:34:59 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Lennart Borgman (gmail)
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > When starting Emacs with "emacs -Q" it crashes if the path to ~/.emacs
> >  contains a Swedish national character. Running under gdb I get the
> >  following backtrace:
>
> This is a backtrace in my system. The HOME dir was C:\año
>
> (gdb) backtrace
> #0  w32_abort () at w32fns.c:9368
> #1  0x010c8a85 in multibyte_chars_in_text (ptr=0x82f932 "c:/a\361o",
> nbytes=6) at character.c:616
> #2  0x01022765 in make_specified_string (contents=0x82f932
> "c:/a\361o", nchars=-1, nbytes=6, multibyte=1) at alloc.c:2446
> #3  0x01010e63 in Fexpand_file_name (name=19162171,
> default_directory=41388995) at fileio.c:1723

It looks like this is happening because expand-file-name calls egetenv
to expand "~", but egetenv returns a unibyte string, while
expand-file-name is not prepared for this, because it makes up its
mind about multibyteness of the file name too early.

Unless I'm missing something, the same should happen on Unix as well.
Could someone try this on Unix or GNU system with HOME set to a
directory with non-ASCII characters, and see if Emacs crashes there as
well?  (This is important for me to know whether to prepare a
Windows-only change or a change that should fix all systems.)