Re: Small change in image-dired.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Small change in image-dired.el
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:27:28 -0400

> When cleaning my mailbox I found an old request from Stefan Reichör
> asking if tumme (as it was called back then) could preserve the
> timestamp of rotated original files. He sent a patch which I
> implemented (although slightly changed) today. I made it customizable
> and by default it works as before, i.e. not preserving timestamp.

What is the rationale for such a "feature"?  Generally, modifying a file
and then changing its timestamp back to what it was is a good way to get
in trouble (many programs assume that if the timestamp hasn't changed,
then the file hasn't changed).

Maybe some other feature can provide the same end result?  E.g. maybe
the file's content should hold the timestamp (in its metadata) instead?

> If people are OK with the change, could someone check this in for me
> (it was a long time since I did any CVS commit and I don't want to
> mess up)?

I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I'd first like a compelling
evidence that this is really the right way to solve the
original problem.

        Stefan