Re: Is it possible to update tooltip text?

From: Ye Wenbin
Subject: Re: Is it possible to update tooltip text?
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:12:38 +0800

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:00:43 +0800, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <address@hidden> wrote:
I searched for something like that too, but finally (for some other reasons) decided to use an overlay instead. Maybe that was the wrong approach and if you manage to get tooltips to work for you as you wanted to above then please tell me.

My "overlay workaround" is in tabkey2.el:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/tabkey2.el
A good idea, but I found a fatal bug that if I display message in the first line in an empty buffer, emacs will crash when I move backward. You can repeat it as following:
 1. load "tabkey2"
 2. open a new buffer or erase current buffer
3. input (tabkey2-overlay-message "hello") and C-x C-e eval it, the message overlay
    will appear in front of cursor right after the parenthesis.
 4. C-b to move backward, then the emacs will crash.

I try it in emacs22 and emacs23, both have the same problem.
Anyway, I think make sure alway has a new line bellow is better, but
it will change the content of buffer.

--
Best Regards,
Ye Wenbin