Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 01:49:39 -0400

Free software existed before we started GNU, but was few and
scattered; the only way you could use it was as add-ons to a non-free
system.  The GNU system made it possible to use a computer and have
freedom.

    The GNU Project's contribution was a legally enforcable license to ensure
    share-and-share-alike for authors who chose to use the legal system to
enforce
    their politics.

The GNU Project developed a free operating system, GNU.  (See
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.)  To do this, we
developed many programs, which are GNU packages.  We still develop
more GNU packages and also accept existing programs into the GNU
Project when their developers wish.

As a supporting activity, we also developed a license for releasing
these programs as free software and defend freedom for all users.
That is the GNU GPL.