Re: 23.0.60; Odd behavior of maximized windows

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Odd behavior of maximized windows
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:59:15 +0200

David Abrahams skrev:
> Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
> usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

> Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
> and the precise symptoms of the bug:
>
> I am using Emacs 21 under Gnome with Compiz.  Occasionally, Compiz or
> Emerald will freak out and I'll lose all my "window decorations" (title
> bars, etc.)  I don't know what causes it.  I typically keep one or more
> maximized emacs windows open.  With any other application I use, all I
> need to do to get the decorations back is to restart my window manager
> (it's not an X restart).  For some reason, the emacs window remains
> maximized (the area, sans decorations, fills an entire screen) and no
> decorations come back.  The emacs window actually even obscures the
> gnome panels!  This persistent annoyance would obviously not be much of
> a problem if it weren't for a bug somewhere else, but it is an odd
> nonuniformity.  It would be best if emacs worked like all my other X
> applications in that respect.

I also run Emerald, Gnome, Compiz and alse see Emerald crashes.  I don't have
maximized Emacs:es.  But I see that sometimes compiz maximizes windows by
itself when the become "too large" (exactly what that means I don't know).

Do you have other maximized windows that don't cover the entire screen after a
restart?  Window manager decorations is really up to the window manager, Emacs
doesn't do anything about this by itself.

        Jan D.