Re: Dired patch for `i' - bounce between subdir line and its inserted li

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Dired patch for `i' - bounce between subdir line and its inserted listing
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:35:53 +0300

>>  This provides a handy go-back behavior, letting you bounce
>>  back and forth between a subdirectory line and its inserted
>>  listing.  `i' on a non-directory file within a subdir
>>  listing acts the same as it does on the subdir's header
>>  line, so you need not be on the header line to bounce back:
>>  anywhere within the subdir listing will do.
>
> I would like this. Sometimes I manually call `i' on specific dirs and
> get tired of needing to do C-u C-SPC to get back.

You already can do this easily with `^'.  It have advantage of being
context-independent: it works everywhere in any part of the subdirectory
listing.  OTOH, overloading a clear meaning of `i' ("insert a subdir")
with more meanings will add inconsistencies.

> Double tapping `i' would be much more convenient. Maybe, maybe maybe
> maybe, should it also step one line down from the original dir line
> when jumping back, but that depends on how you use it I guess, it
> would fit my way of working with dirs in Dired. It has the
> disadvantage however that you cannot go back to the inserted dir again
> by tapping `i' for a third time.

It seems what you are trying to do here is to insert a group of
subdirectories.  Maybe, it would be much easier just to mark them
with e.g. `* /' (`dired-mark-directories') and type `i' to insert
them all at once into the same dired buffer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/