Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: M Jared Finder
Subject: Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:16:56 -0700

David d wrote:
"paul r" <address@hidden> writes:

2008/3/30, M Jared Finder <address@hidden>:

 If you want to keep users coming to Emacs to stay with Emacs, cua-mode
 should be on by default.
Although I hope your POV is a bit extremist as of today, I think you
stated clearly the general trend. As I previously said between lines,
I'm experiencing similar behaviour of people giving up emacs after a
few days because of unacceptable (to them) drop in their
"productivity".

cua-mode will not help them much.  Emacs will remain different.

I can only speak for my own experience, and I consider myself a pretty experienced Emacs user. I understand keyboard macros, Elisp extensions (and have even created a few of my own), the difference between C-f, M-f, C-M-f, and such. I regularly navigate with M-., and enjoy displaying the same file in two buffers. I have a .emacs that is over 1000 lines.

And I use cua-mode.

You guys all say the experienced user never uses cua-mode, and that the newb would be confused because it makes Emacs inconsistent with itself. I completely disagree. If cua-mode did not exist, I *would not be using Emacs today*. Cut/copy/paste is such a fundamental concept to me, that learning new keys for them would have been (and STILL IS) intolerable. Cua-mode is a joy to use. 99% of the time, it does exactly what I want.

As a solution to this whole problem, why not place an option on the splash screen that chooses if cua-mode is on or not? That way newer users will always see the option, right in their face, and it could default to being enabled if you see the splash screen. Once you dismiss that screen, it can save the setting in the users .emacs. And everyone here who hates cua-mode (and has already disabled the splash screen) will never know the difference.

 -- MJF