Re: 23.0.60; uid problems on w32

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; uid problems on w32
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:23:22 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:54:56 +0200
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden

Maybe it would help to use a full internal representation in Emacs that are simplified when talking with external applications?

There are places in Emacs as well that expect Posix behavior.  And
there's some merit in being compatible with Cygwin, too.

Anyway, if someone wants to volunteer to do what you want, I won't
object.

There is a function user-real-uid that may be able to be extended to contain the full id. Currently it is documented as returning a float or int, neither of which will contain a SID without losing precision. We'd have to check the users first. If elisp had a bignum type, it would be the best choice, as a cons cell will require different code for processing it. But before embarking on this, I'd like to see a case that actually needs it, as there are many other areas where we could be spending our limited resources.

You are really right that we have to consider where to use our limited resource. One reason to do this change however might be that it concerns security things (file owner). But I am not sure it actually matters.