Re: 23.0.60; uid problems on w32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; uid problems on w32
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:44:00 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
One reason to do this change however might be that it concerns security things (file owner). But I am not sure it actually matters.

Windows does not have a concept of file ownership. It has access control lists for files on NTFS drives, but they do not distinguish between the owner or creator of a file and other users who may have access to the file. That is why Emacs considers all files to be owned by the current user. Cygwin has some mapping of ACLs to posix ownership, but that is more for bidirectional use by Cygwin to retain its own idea of posix ownership. Files created outside Cygwin may end up with some arbritrary default similar to what Emacs does (I haven't studied the Cygwin code, so I don't know the exact details of what they do).