Re: You can set this variable in your initialization file.

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: You can set this variable in your initialization file.
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:50:03 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I think this "feature" is a misfeature.
>
> Many variables cannot usefully be set in the .emacs file and yet C-h v
> keeps telling me "You can set this variable in your initialization
> file".
>
> Either we fix it to do the right thing (i.e. only say it when it's
> true), or we should remove it.

+1
It seems totally useless at present (what was it supposed to do?).

  (setq foo 1)
  C-h v foo
  You can set this variable in your initialization file.

Wow, lucky me...

I would just get rid of it and leave the "You can customize this
variable" message. Shouldn't anything that anyone can usefully set be
a defcustom?