Re: Feature Request : autoload-form

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: Feature Request : autoload-form
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:31:10 -0700

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:24:45 -0400
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>       - I got rid of the monolithic .emacs, so that bits of
> configuration go into dedicated "modules". There is a module for
> C-mode, one for Muse-mode etc. One module resides in one file.
> Modules are shared in your network of friends/colleagues ... anybody
> syncing with you, so they are "network-specific" but not
> "user-specific".
>
> I think I understand what these do.  I'm not completely sure why you
> want them, though.  What job do these do, which you couldn't do by
> installing some Lisp libraries in the usual way?

There isn't a usual way for installing elisp libraries, just whatever
the user has slapped together out of necessity. The closest way to
any usual way AFAICT is ELPA.

The Emacs developers use trees of elisp source managed by CVS regularly,
it is somewhat curious that a single .emacs file is considered adequate
the user.

In fact I think a single .emacs file discourages sharing emacs elisp
because it contradicts directly the kind of modularity and organization
essential to sharing.

If I had not broken out of a single .emacs file long ago I never would
have posted any elisp, because it was always a big hair-ball in a giant
file.

Something to consider at least. The rest of this line of thought is
to off-topic for me to continue, but I will share ideas and code off-list.