pp-to-string heisenberg bug

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: pp-to-string heisenberg bug
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:56:30 -0700

Hello,

I am running Emacs 23.0.60.2 on linux, and Emacs.app 0.9-rc2. The following
pp-to-string
phenomena is seen on both platforms.

pp-to-string is suppost to pretty print nested lists, however when I start
Emacs I always get
this output truncated with ...

<example 1>
parser-compile-run: Creating new closure.
(lambda
  (start-pos)
  (save-excursion
    (let
        (...)
      (goto-char start-pos)
      (funcall ...))))
</example 1>

Which is very annoying.

If I edebug-defun evaluate this little snippet:

(pp-to-string 'foo)

a couple of times pp-to-string starts working normally producing the
correct output below:

<example 2>
parser-compile-run: Creating new closure.
(lambda
  (start-pos)
  (save-excursion
    (let
        ((parser-position
          (cons start-pos nil)))
      (goto-char start-pos)
      (funcall 'start))))
</example 2>

If you can't reproduce this problem it might have to do with what kind of lists
my parser-compiler is generating.
If That is the case (I think so) contact me for help in reproducing the
problem. It happens every time, I have to "trigger"
normal behavior so it's a matter of running a small test case with my Parser
Compiler.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie