Re: 23.0.60; Odd behavior of maximized windows

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Odd behavior of maximized windows
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:38:27 +0200

Jan Djärv wrote:

David Abrahams skrev:
on Sun Mar 30 2008, Jan Djärv <jan.h.d-AT-swipnet.se> wrote:

I also run Emerald, Gnome, Compiz and alse see Emerald crashes.  I
don't have
maximized Emacs:es.  But I see that sometimes compiz maximizes
windows by
itself when the become "too large" (exactly what that means I don't
know).

Do you have other maximized windows that don't cover the entire
screen after a
restart?
Yes.

Window manager decorations is really up to the window manager, Emacs
doesn't do anything about this by itself.
I figured as much, but it must be doing something differently from,
e.g., Thunderbird, or I wouldn't be seeing this effect.

I will run some tests.  I guess there is some property one should set
which Emacs doesn't.  Stay tuned...

I have run several tests and killed Emerald manually, but my Emacs always comes back with window decorations.

When Emacs is maximized, the window manager sets _NET_WM_STATE, usually to
 _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT, _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ.

When it is restarted it shall look at the NET_WM_STATE and restore it as it was before the crash. If WM_STATE is set to _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN however, you would see the behaviour you are seeing.

Can you do
% xprop | grep NET_WM_STATE

and then click in the maximized Emacs window?  What is the output?

Do you know what version of Emerald you have? If you run this with for example Metacity, do you see the same effect?

        Jan D.