Re: 23.0.60; Odd behavior of maximized windows

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Odd behavior of maximized windows
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:43:26 -0400

Jan Djärv wrote:

>>> I will run some tests.  I guess there is some property one should set
>>> which Emacs doesn't.  Stay tuned...
>
> I have run several tests and killed Emerald manually, but my Emacs
> always comes back with window decorations.
>
> When Emacs is maximized, the window manager sets _NET_WM_STATE, usually to
>  _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT, _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ.
>
> When it is restarted it shall look at the NET_WM_STATE and restore it as
> it was before the crash.  If WM_STATE is set to _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
> however, you would see the behaviour you are seeing.
>
> Can you do
> % xprop | grep NET_WM_STATE
>
> and then click in the maximized Emacs window?  What is the output?

_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT,
_NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ

> Do you know what version of Emerald you have?

Here's the package info:

  Package: emerald
  Architecture: i386
  Version: 0.3~git20070717-0ubuntu1

> If you run this with for
> example Metacity, do you see the same effect?

I don't know how to duplicate the dying window decorator effect with
Metacity, so it's hard to tell you.

Thanks again for going to such lengths on this one.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting