Re: Exchange 2007 Issues When Copying Between Folders

From: Jake Colman
Subject: Re: Exchange 2007 Issues When Copying Between Folders
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:13:48 -0400

   SJ> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
   >> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:54:12 -0400 Jake Colman <address@hidden> wrote:
   >>
   JC> Ted suggested that I post here as I find more issues with using Gnus
   JC> with Exchange 2007.
   >>
   JC> If I move an email between IMAP folders ('B m'), I get the following
   SJ> messages:
   >>
   JC> Registry: Registering article 6 with group
   SJ> nnimap+exchange-d01:INBOX/Development/gnu
   JC> Registry: Registering article 7 with group
   SJ> nnimap+exchange-d01:INBOX/Development/gnu
   JC> Moving to nnimap+exchange-d01:INBOX/Development/CVS: (6)...
   JC> nnimap-request-move-article: this is an internal move
   JC> The specified message set is invalid.
   JC> Couldn't Move article 6: The specified message set is invalid.
   JC> nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+exchange-d01:INBOX/Development/gnu...
   JC> nnimap: Updating info for
   SJ> nnimap+exchange-d01:INBOX/Development/gnu...done
   >>
   JC> The message is, in fact, copied between the 'gnu' folder and the 'CVS'
   JC> folder but it is not deleted from the 'gnu' folder.
   >>
   JC> I am attaching the output of the imap-debug buffer showing everything
   SJ> starting
   JC> with pressing 'B m'.
   >>
   >> The command that caused the problem:
   >>
   >> 511 UID FETCH * UID
   >>
   >> (copying emacs-devel regarding the maintenance issue)
   >>
   >> Simon Josefsson hasn't replied to my pings, so I think he may not be
   >> available for imap.el support.  Simon, please let us know if that's not
   >> the case.

   SJ> Hi!  Sorry for not responding, I have been busy with other things, and I
   SJ> don't have much time to work on (nn)imap.el any more.  I have time to
   SJ> review concrete patches, but little time to help debug problems with
   SJ> some servers.

   SJ> However, the recently installed patch for Gnus is definitely the wrong
   SJ> thing:

   SJ> -         (imap-fetch "1,*" "UID" nil 'nouidfetch)
   SJ> +         (imap-fetch "1:*" "UID" nil 'nouidfetch)

   SJ> This generates thousands and thousands of unnecessary lines of output,
   SJ> such as:

   SJ> 669 FETCH 1:* UID
   SJ> * 1 FETCH (UID 53159)
   SJ> * 2 FETCH (UID 53160)
   SJ> * 3 FETCH (UID 53161)
   SJ> * 103915 FETCH (UID 157074)
   SJ> * 103916 FETCH (UID 157075)
   SJ> * 103917 FETCH (UID 157076)
   SJ> 669 OK Completed

   SJ> That's about 2-3MB of output, and that was getting information for one
   SJ> of my folders (I subscribe to maybe 100-150 folders..).

   SJ> This slows down pressing 'g' on my server from sub-seconds to a very
   SJ> long time (I pressed C-g after half a minute).

   SJ> This is how the output should look like:

   SJ> 698 FETCH 1,* UID
   SJ> * 1 FETCH (UID 53159)
   SJ> * 103918 FETCH (UID 157077)
   SJ> 698 OK Completed

   SJ> That's 89 bytes and takes ms's to transfer.

   SJ> If you want this bug workaround in the code, please make it conditional
   SJ> on some variable that is disabled by default.  I suggest documenting
> [...]

Simon,

Can you suggest something better to fix this problem?  I'm sure that I'm
not the only user who will want to use Gnus with Exchange 2007.  This
fix, incorrect though it may be, does work.  Is there something other
IMAP command that will get data in the way Gnus needs to see it?

...Jake

--
Jake Colman
Director of Software Development