Re: split-window-preferred-function

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: split-window-preferred-function
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 12:30:39 +0200

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> What would that do?
>
> The same as `split-height-threshold' - horizontally spoken ;-)

Oh, indeed. :)

>> Judging from the name I think it would inhibit splitting if the
>> resulting window would be smaller than that threshold and reuse the
>> least recently used window instead.  I'd welcome such a feature (I
>> usually don't want windows that are smaller than 80 columns), but
>> wouldn't we need the same for height, too?
>
> We have that already but hardly anyone is aware of it.  Its default
> value is 500 (lines, nota bene).  The purpose of these variables is
> trivial: Windows less than that are not split by `display-buffer'.

I tried setting it to 20, but cannot see a difference.  My frame is 221
columns x 61 lines tall.  I'm in *scratch* (the only window) and eval

  (display-buffer "diary")
  (display-buffer "*Help*")

step by step, first with the default threshold of 500.  Because I use
split-window-preferred-horizontally the diary buffer is shown in a new
window right of the window holding *scratch*.  Now I eval the second
`display-buffer' and the right window's buffer is replaced with the
*Help* buffer.

With `split-height-threshold' set to 20 I get the same behavior.
Reading the `display-buffer' docstring I think instead of replacing the
right window's buffer it should instead split the left window
vertically, cause that's much bigger (61 lines) than the threshold.

Bye,
Tassilo