Re: Transient Region Highlighting - an improvement over Transient Mark M

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: Transient Region Highlighting - an improvement over Transient Mark Mode.
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:32:59 -0500

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:04:51 -0400, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> said:

>>> I must be missing something.  You seem to be describing the current
>>> behavior.  Is your suggestion just another way to describe the
>>> current behavior, which would be more appropriate for the manual?

>> If these three different effects are indeed separable, they can be
>> made independently activatable -- I personally am only interested in
>> the visual highlight of the region.

> Actually, they are not independent: the fact that the mark gets
> "deactivated" every once in a while in TMM is crucial to making the
> highlight bearable.  Otherwise, it would *always* be highlighted.

        But then we go around and make the mark active again even when
 it is not. I think what we want is that the highlight is either on or
 not (having it on all the time will indeed make me want scratch my eyes
 out).  I think we have conflated the highlight being visible and mark
 being active: we want the highlight to go on and off based on some
 actions.

        Even though newbies want to see the region visible, they are
 very confused about things like query replace not working like they do
 when there is no region highlight.

        manoj
--
Love is not enough, but it sure helps.