Re: Feature Request : autoload-form

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Feature Request : autoload-form
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:07:33 -0700

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008, paul r wrote:
> Are you planing to impose this ditribution policy for gNewSens /
> gobuntu as well ? For the whole GNU OS ? I guess you don't. If you
> think Gnu/Linux distribution requirements differ from Gnu Emacs
> distribution requirements, could you please explain me how ? At this
> time, I can only see numerous similarities.

There are similarities, but the differences is wherein the problems
lie. There's pretty much no sane way to handle distribution in
something besides a tarball which does not get into the way of what
distributions are doing. [And really, packaging for distribution is
what the distributions are (or at least should be) best at.]

The distribution of emacs and packages which are used for emacs but
are not part of emacs have largely been solved by distributions
already. See Debian's emacs policy, for example.

Don Armstrong

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us what
it's like to be Beethoven, and Bach tells us what it's like to be the