Re: split-window-preferred-function

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: split-window-preferred-function
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 23:26:14 +0100

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Martin,
>
>> BTW, do we want a `split-width-threshold'?
>
> What would that do?
>
> Judging from the name I think it would inhibit splitting if the
> resulting window would be smaller than that threshold and reuse the
> least recently used window instead.  I'd welcome such a feature (I
> usually don't want windows that are smaller than 80 columns), but
> wouldn't we need the same for height, too?

FWIW, I've currently got the following split-window-preferred function
in my .emacs  I don't really know the details of the relevant emacs
internals, it just did roughly what I wanted, so I was happy.

(setq split-window-preferred-function
      (lambda (window)
        (let ((w (window-width window))
              (h (window-height window))
              (force-vert nil)
              (w/h-ratio 2.0)) ; should be customizable.
          ;; Paranoia
          (when (> 1 w) (setq w 1))
          (when (> 1 h) (setq h 1))
          (when (>= 160 w) (setq force-vert t))
          (if (and (not force-vert)
                   (< (float w/h-ratio) (/ (float w) (float h))))
              (split-window window nil 'horiz)
            (split-window window)))))