Re: Unbearably slow editing in .h files

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Unbearably slow editing in .h files
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:47:52 -0700

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

  > Hi, Martin and Stefan,
  >
  > On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 11:51:34PM +0100, martin rudalics wrote:
  > > Evening Alan,
  >
  > > > What is add-log-current-defun using c-beginning-of-defun for?
  >
  > > Visit lisp.h, go to the end of the buffer, and do
  >
  > > M-x RET c-beginning-of-defun RET
  >
  > > Convincing?
  >
  > I have just fixed this problem (I hope!) in both the Emacs-22 branch and
  > the trunk.  Basically, the contorted functionality in add-log.el has
  > been superseded by optimised routines in cc-cmds.el.
  >
  > On my 1.2 GHz Athlon machine, C-x 4 a now takes around 4 seconds at the
  > end of lisp.h, in the trunk.  It's somewhat faster in the Emacs-22
  > branch, but I don't know why.
  >
  > I think this is fast enough.

Can it be faster?  Might sound like a joke, but it's a serious question.

`diff-add-change-log-entries-other-window' uses this (calls it once per
diff hunk), and it is nice to let it run on largish diff buffers to
quickly produce a skeleton for a ChangeLog .
Is the slowdown still caused by the fact that is hard to distinguish a
K&R functions from variable declarations?

Thanks

        --dan