Re: split-window-preferred-function

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: split-window-preferred-function
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 01:52:28 +0300

> Currently `display-buffer' would not split the left window vertically
> because it is not full-width.  With `split-width-threshold'
>
>         && (WINDOW_FULL_WIDTH_P (XWINDOW (window)))
>
> we could write something like
>
>           (>= (window-width window) (/ split-width-threshold 2))
>
> hence `split-width-threshold' would serve the dual role to allow
> splitting a window horizontally when it's at least that wide and
> vertically when it's at least half that wide (due to a preceding
> horizontal split maybe).

Yes, `split-width-threshold' might help in these situations.
But I think its default value should not be such large value as
`split-height-threshold' has.  However, for the default behavior of
vertical splitting this large default value seems right.

This means there is a difference in semantics of `split-height-threshold'
and `split-width-threshold'.  IOW, they are NOT complete equivalents
rotated 90 degrees.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/