Re: Maintenance suggestion on an emacs mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Maintenance suggestion on an emacs mode
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:08:25 -0400

> Please find attached patches.
> 3 questions :
>  - why is sgml in textmodes ?

Why not?  Although XML is now used for more than just text, SGML was
originally mostly used for text (and mostly for HTML, actually).

>  - files are not indented according to emacs lisp default rules,
> should I resend a patch with full reindentation according-to-mode ?
> Attached patches do not change indentation.

If there's incorrect indentation, yes, feel free to fix it (but only in
the last patch, not the ones submitted for review so the actual changes
don't get drowned in irrelevant reindentation).

>  - When testing this kind of modifications, I could not find a way to
> unload a mode so that I could make a modification, and reload the
> mode.  I ended up closing and reopening an emacs instance for that :)

You can try M-x unload-feature, but I typically just use C-M-x to
evaluate the function I just changed.

        Stefan