Re: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:07:56 +0100

On 4 Apr 2008, at 07:55, martin rudalics wrote:

Ispell/Aspell are, to my knowledge, the only spell-checkers providing
the piping mechanism Emacs uses - Hunspell has a C(++) interface only.
Currently, all we do is send some buffer text to the spell-checker and
wait what the spell-checker tells us about that text.

A C++ interface wouldn't be all that different. If the (elisp level) spell-checking package provided clear separation between UI and accessing the spell-checker (the API that I'd like), then support for other spell-checkers could be implemented easily.

Grammar checking can (and should, IMHO) be done separately from
spell-checking. Neither Aspell nor Ispell provide any support for this.

Yes. I think the UI portion could be the same, though. You underline and provide a context menu, or you jump to the next warning.

Currently, Aspell and Ispell know better what should be ignored in LaTeX
buffers.  Why duplicate work in this area?

That's indeed an argument in favor of A/Ispell; with other spell- checkers, the major mode would have to strip out key words. And it's really a major mode specific function and should be implemented there.