Re: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:18:59 +0100

On 5 Apr 2008, at 12:06, Richard Stallman wrote:
A C++ interface wouldn't be all that different. If the (elisp level)
   spell-checking package provided clear separation between UI and
accessing the spell-checker (the API that I'd like), then support for
   other spell-checkers could be implemented easily.

It is a very bad idea to link other appls such as Aspell into Emacs.
It would cause constant maintenance trouble.  So we definitely should
not do this.

That's not what I suggested. I was thinking of using documented and stable APIs for spell-checking.

What I believe is missing now is a clear separation between UI and the code that interfaces the spell-checker. ispell.el mixes UI, text extraction ("skipping") and interfacing the backend.