Re: VC shows stderr in target buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC shows stderr in target buffer
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:31:46 -0400

>> It seems better in the *vc-diff* buffer where the user will be sure to
>> see it than in the echo area where it'll be overwritten soon after
>> (especially for multi-line messages).

> When you do C-x C-s and the file can't be written, do you insert an error
> message into the buffer?
> When you handle an exception signalled anywhere, do you insert an error
> message into the buffer or do you show it in the echo area?

> My request was about consistency.

I do not think consistency in this regard is important.

> It's probably important to know I would
> do things like C-x C-v = in order to do something else with the  resulting
> diff than to just read the output.  Thus, warnings (and they  are just
> warnings!) are annoying when they're shown in the buffer.

The content of the diff output already often includes various extra
lines that can be more or less relevant depending on the tool used.
Some of those lines will be on stderr, others on stdout.  Tools that use
patches know to ignore leading and trailing garbage, so I really don't
think it's that important.

        Stefan