Re: split-window-preferred-function

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: split-window-preferred-function
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 00:02:42 +0200

> Actually elscreen has a separate "layout creation" mode (although it
> is not as easy to use, and also IMO redundant, it could as well just
> live record user changes made in the "real" frame).
>
> But yes, you can save everything to disk, anytime.  Means it allows
> to get used to something, body-language wise.

I don't know much about elscreen.  Can you tell me the name of the
package / function(s) implementing "layout creation"?

> Option three: Allow zero-width and zero-height windows.

I thought about that already although I personally dislike hidden
windows.

> Such there is actually no need for the code to *ever* create
> new windows automatically, because the "tree" is already either
> predefined and/or customized. Just the sizes aren't filled in always.

Currently there is no predefined tree.  We still would have to
recursively split the root window in some way.

> All windows would have some target class-properties, like "file",
> "help", "commandline", so if some buffer needs to be shown, the
> buffer/window-manager (which of I assume emacs has one) can apply
> some logic which buffer to show in what window.

The target class property already exists in some sense - certain buffers
can be always shown in the same windows.  The buffer/window manager is
`display-buffer' which sets up the appropriate window for a buffer.

> (window
>     :name "bottom-display"
>     :content-classes '("*help*" "*output*" ...)
>     :visible 'if-needed

Yes.  We should enumerate useful configurations where, for example, the
bottom-most window is shared by help and compiler output (just that I
sometimes want to display *help* and *info* in one and the same frame).
In any case, we have to design rules for making these configurations
appear on the display.

> Still the user is allowed to modify the tree anytime of course,
> by split-window or whatever.  Just not the code.

And by delete-window, I presume.  Anyway, restoring a configuration that
existed already is less difficult.