Re: 23.0.60; Feature request: Menu item "load init files" after -q/-Q

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Feature request: Menu item "load init files" after -q/-Q
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 08:45:10 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > That's a good point.  We need to work harder to make sure that
 > `emacs -Q' either refuses to try and send mail (with an error that
 > explains that mail is not configured) or that does something

In XEmacs, `sendmail' is always configured.

 > sufficiently safe that we're pretty sure it'll work.  It used to be that
 > running `sendmail' was good enough, but nowadays that sadly doesn't cut
 > it any more.
 >
 > As for the default MUA itself, I think it's OK as long as it works.

In XEmacs the default MUA is RMail[1] + sendmail.  IMHO in the modern
environment that is far from working for the kind of user this feature
is aimed at.

Footnotes:
[1]  Note that I don't know what features recent RMail might have in
it, but lack of multipart/mixed and MIME attachment support is a
killer IMO, and it would seem from recent traffic that even recent
Emacs versions don't have those without add-ons like tm or SEMI.