Re: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 23:45:10 +0300

>> Adding a new argument to `read-buffer' will cause the argument list
>> mismatch between `read-buffer' and `read-buffer-function', and
>> calling `read-buffer-function' with an additional argument will
>> break existing code.
>
> Then lets fix the existing code.

This means changing several places in Emacs and still breaking
compatibility with external packages, and all this hassle just
for fixing a minor problem.  I think this fix is disproportional
to the problem.

OTOH, my latest patch implements exactly what is needed: using your
suggestion to place code in the interactive spec of switch-buffer-*,
it also sets a special function minibuffer-default-add-function
that removes the current buffer from the list of defaults of
switch-buffer-* commands.  Thus, this is a very localized fix.
I spent enough time trying hard to find a better solution,
but I see no better.  I propose to install this fix and
move to more important things.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/