Re: rampant region highlighting

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: rampant region highlighting
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 18:37:52 -0400

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> If `(transient-mark-mode -1)' isn't enough to completely disable tmm,
> then please tell we what is. I already have this from some time back:
>
> (defadvice set-mark-command (after no-bloody-t-m-m activate)
>   "Prevent consecutive marks activating bloody `transient-mark-mode'."
>   (if (eq transient-mark-mode 'lambda)
>       (setq transient-mark-mode nil)))
>
> (defadvice mouse-set-region-1 (after no-bloody-t-m-m activate)
>   "Prevent mouse commands activating bloody `transient-mark-mode'."
>   (if (eq transient-mark-mode 'only)
>       (setq transient-mark-mode nil)))

This is a temporary transient-mark-mode (`only' mode) which is set by
the mouse.  This was recently changed to make the temporary mark less
fragile, so that it persists for some commands instead of deactivating
after the next command.  As a result, there are some commands that now
need to turn off the temporary tmm explicitly.